Commanderie van Sint Jan in Nijmegen

Franseplaats 1 · Nijmegen · since 1196

Eight centuries
under one roof

Hospital for pilgrims. Monastery. Barracks. Walloon church. Ruin. Wine house. Student society. Museum. And since 1999 again what it also was in 1495: a place where beer is brewed.

scroll

There are few buildings in the Netherlands over which so many centuries have passed without the lights ever being out for long.

This is the story of the Commanderie van Sint Jan, and of the people who kept making something of it.

The knights
Copper brewing vats in the middle of the Brewery Café
The copper vats stand in the middle of the café today.

1495

Eleven beds and a supply of hops

An inventory from 1495 counts eleven beds in the monastery, and hops in storage. So beer was already being brewed here, five hundred years before we lit the first kettle.

Church, barracks, war

22 February 1944

A direct hit

The mistaken bombing reduces the centre of Nijmegen to rubble. The Commanderie takes a direct hit. The building is then badly damaged but still repairable. What the bombing did not finish, local residents did: the building is stripped for building materials. So the Commanderie turns into a ruin after all, of which only the cellars, the little tower and the western point remain standing.

Photo: Katholieke Illustratie, 1958, archive De Hemel

The Wine House
Guests by candlelight in the Commanderie, 1958
The interior was lit entirely by candles; for this shot the photographer had to use a flash. Katholieke Illustratie, 1958.

1952

Van Weel buys a ruin

Antique dealer J.Th. van Weel buys the remains from the Walloon congregation and starts among the rubble The Wine House. He funds the restoration entirely out of his own pocket. It becomes a household name in no time.

In 1958 the municipality approves the reconstruction plan De Vijf Heuvelen, without the Commanderie. Van Weel challenges the demolition. He wins.

Read the 1958 article in the Katholieke Illustratie (pdf)

Huis van de Nijmeegse Geschiedenis · Katholieke Illustratie, 1958

The Commanderie shortly after the reconstruction, 1975
Shortly after the reconstruction, March 1975. Photo A.J. van der Wal, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, object no. 20167904, CC BY-SA 4.0

1974

Museum in a reconstructed building

In 1969 the building becomes a national monument and the suspended restoration plans are resumed; in 1970 the reconstruction begins. The romantic additions are removed, the building is returned to its state before the Walloon church. On 28 October 1974 the Nijmeegs Gemeentemuseum opens its doors. The plans come from Architectenbureau Leeuwenberg en Volders in Utrecht, the works are led by ir. J.L. Volders. In 1998 the collection moves to Kelfkensbos and is absorbed into Museum Het Valkhof.

1969 to 1974

The drawings with which this house was rebuilt

On the drawing table of Architectenbureau Leeuwenberg en Volders in Utrecht the Commanderie was reimagined line by line. Facade by facade, section by section, right down to the trees on the Franse Plaats. These sheets are in our archive. Drag or scroll to look further, click to enlarge.

Construction drawing north facade Commanderie van Sint Jan
North facade, sheet 11The long facade on the Franse Plaats, exactly as it would stand after the reconstruction. Bottom left the stamp of the drawing office.
Construction drawing section and east facade Commanderie van Sint Jan
Section and east elevation, sheet 6On the left the facade, on the right the house cut open. You look straight into the roof, the floors and the cellars.
Coloured perspective sketch of the Franse Plaats by the Commanderie
Perspective sketch Franse PlaatsColoured in pencil, complete with bare trees, benches, parked cars and people walking. This is how the square was meant to feel.
Site drawing Commanderie van Sint Jan, scale 1 to 500
Site plan, scale 1 to 500, sheet 13The building standing alone on the square, with the row of trees along the Nonnenstraat and a list of structural notes in handwriting.
Ground floor plan Commanderie van Sint Jan
Ground floor planThe layout with which the building opened as a museum in 1974. The same walls behind which the restaurant, the brewhouse and the brewery café now sit.

Original sheets from the archive of De Hemel. Architectenbureau Leeuwenberg en Volders, Biltstraat 97 Utrecht.

The beer returns
Four house brewed beers of De Hemel

1996

A city brewery again after a hundred years

On 14 May 1996 Herm Hegger opens City Brewery De Hemel in the Brouwershuis on the Steenstraat. For the first time in almost a century beer is brewed in Nijmegen again.

Coffee beans in the drum of the roaster on the Franseplaats
Roasting coffee on the Franseplaats, a craft that has never left here since 2001.

2001

Coffee in the Commanderie

Coffee house and roastery Coffyn settles at Franseplaats 1: an initiative of care organisation Pluryn, where people with a disability work in the coffee studio and in hospitality. Coffyn stays until 2015 and then moves to Malden.

coffyn.nl

The De Roo family
Service on the terrace in the courtyard

2011

Selmar and Ilfa

In April 2011 Selmar de Roo takes over De Hemel from his father. Together with Ilfa he builds on, with a lot of love and passion for the trade and for this building.

Holy Beans coffee in the shop of De Hemel

2015

Ilfa starts Holy Beans

Coffyn leaves for Malden. Instead of letting the coffee go, in December 2015 Ilfa de Roo starts her own roastery in that same spot: Holy Beans. There she roasts the coffee for all the businesses of Het Horecalegioen. Since then beer has been brewed and coffee roasted here under the same roof, a few metres apart.

2025

Then and now

A thorough renovation. The same beamed ceiling, the same walls, the same copper kettles, but as they were meant to be. And a shop on site, where everything made here can also go home with you.

2012 to 2026

Slide the years over each other

The same walls, the same beams, the same copper kettles. Drag the handle to see what has happened in the meantime.

The brewhouse of De Hemel before the renovationThe brewhouse of De Hemel after the renovation20122026
The brewhouse. The kettles are still there, the rest has been rethought.
The bar of the Brewery Café before the renovationThe Brewery Café of De Hemel after the renovation20182026
The Brewery Café. Green, wood and plants, and the fireplace back in the middle.

The foundation of Het Horecalegioen

Everything Het Horecalegioen is today began here, in a building that has refused to disappear for eight centuries. From De Hemel to nine businesses in and around Nijmegen, each of them an iconic place with a story of its own.

De HemelDe PelgrimHotel CredibleHotel PauwIn de KazerneCafé van OudsRenato’sStroom LentDe Wolfsberg

Reserve a table

Historic photos: collection Regionaal Archief Nijmegen (Fotopersbureau Gelderland / J.F.M. Trum) and Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, both CC BY-SA 4.0. Image from 1958: Katholieke Illustratie, archive De Hemel.